Renee's Website

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Top Fashion Trends: Who Needs 'Em?

Number one trend for fall? Burgundy coats. Hmmm...

Dear friends,

Coming to you from a buying trip in New York City, I got to thinking about fashion trends. (Imagine that!)

I regularly hear questions like this from you: What is the latest trend? What is the color of the season? What is the go-to style in pants?

Let's just go ahead and get this out of the way right at the beginning. According to Glamour mag (and it IS a different list depending on who you ask), the five top trends this fall are:

1. Wine color. Okay, I will concede this one. You can pull it off with class and style. And we did.


Aquatalia pumps. Wine-colored waterproof suede. In stock at Renee's now. Model: Vickie.



2. Harness belts. Really? Looks time consuming, confusing, and constricting to me.

How did she get that harness on? And why?

Looks just awfully uncomfortable. Reminds me of an old
mental hospital contraption. Or worse. Nuff said!


3. Head to toe floral, including shoes. Again, really? I would feel like I was wearing a costume. Oh, I forgot. Maybe that's the point. For some people. How 'bout you?

Floral costumes, head to toe. Really, who makes these lists????


4. Horse print tops. Goes along with harness belts. I would classify these as "Worst Sweater Wednesday" sweaters.
Horse head sweaters.



5. Contrast collars. In my humble opinion this belongs in the "meh" list in the New York Times magazine. "Not hot, not not, just meh."

Here's a contrast collar for you. Let this be your only one. Please.

I suppose I'm a tiny bit skeptical when it comes to what's "hot." I will also admit I'm reserved and prefer the understated.

Truth be told, sometimes I think the media creates hype to get us to spend our money. Fashion magazines need you to support their advertisers so they in turn keep supporting the publication.

We are smarter than that, though, in Everett, Washington. Right?

A designer may create a few outlandish items to draw attention. He wants you to buy his line, so he *creates* a trend. He is climbing the ladder of fame and fortune. To get to the top, he needs a lot of buzz.

My hackles immediately raise up when a rep tells me that the item they are showing me is the "it" thing for next season. I hear scare tactics: if I don’t order it, you will go somewhere else. (Will you?)

Therefore, I don't really adopt new trends and styles quickly. These come and go. I am too practical. My personal value is "Buy good things, own them a long time."

In keeping with the "top 5" list above, I've decided to make my own list. For those of us who don't care about the latest trends, what's our good stuff? That's easy.

1. Suzi Roher belts. In-store now. These make you look and feel great. Ask some customers who wear them. Maybe they'll comment on this post. I'll give you their contact info (with their permission) if you call me. Made in Canada.

Suzi's daughter helped me place an order yesterday.

Here she is modeling one of her mom's belts.


2. Olbrish handbags. In store by September 30. A stunning product of art and engineering. Each bag architecturally designed and made by hand in Berlin.


Can't wait for you to see this line!

3. Graf and Lantz handbags. In store now. Worth every penny. Satisfaction guaranteed for years to come. Made in the USA.

Co-owner Daniel Lantz's design ideals are based in the marriage of understated luxury and traditional techniques.


4. Tees by Tina. In store now. Perfect layering tops. Great colors. Versatile. Practical. Made in the USA.
Yesterday Tina herself helped me put together a new order.

5. Jianhui jewelry. In store by September 30. Special. Different. Fun. Made in London.
I met Jianhui on Wednesday.


6. Sympli. In store now. GrEaT for travel! Slimming. Comfortable. Rich color. Made in Vancouver, Canada.
I love working with Kathy from Sympli .

7. Amy Brill sweaters. In store now. Each sweater made by one person in upstate New York.
Creator and owner Amy Brill herself tells me all about her design philosophy.

9. Susans. In store spring 2013. Casual, artistic collection that fits real women. Made in Berkeley, California.
Susan lives in Berkely. She has family in Bellevue, Washington.

Also: Majestic tops, Prairie Cotton collection, Stehmann pants, most of the lines you find at Renee's, really. I have met and talked with the owners and designers (usually one and the same) of these companies. These are real people who care about what they are doing. Just like I do. And just like you do.

So, do we really need to care about trends? The media likes to pontificate on fashion. Many of us are intrigued. I'd rather not. A new color here and there suits me fine.

I could be mistaken. What are your thoughts? Seriously, are you more interested in fashion and trends than I'm allowing? Perhaps I'm in the wrong line of work. I've been thinking about writing a book about owning a clothing store... I have lots and lots of stories I could tell...

Missing you all and sending love,

Renee

p.s. I've been laughing out loud as I write... I'm like a crazy person! I think it's time to get back to the real world.... I miss my swimming!




8 comments:

  1. Renee, I starting laughing part way through too!!!!  I shop Renee's because it is classic and lasts for years.  I may buy 1 trendy item once in awhile but I like to wear things I love for along time....and one of those items is my Suzi Roher Belt.  It has been a staple in my wardrobe and sometimes I wear it 4-5 times a week with different outfits. I actually am thinking about buying another one when I see what comes in.  

    My wardrobe is an investment and it helps me to feel good about myself.  I want it to last along time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always trust your judgment. Thanks for saving us from the ridiculous looks of those who are trying too hard to make a statement they cannot pull off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really??? That's fashion? I'm glad I won't be seeing those designer misfits in your boutique! I enjoy the variety that you carry from fun and sassy to classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm glad to see burgundy is in this fall, because it's a color I like to wear. I could even use a burgundy coat, if the right one came along. I have a Suzi Roher belt that adds just the right touch to many outfits. And my two Amy Brill pieces are among my favorites--they are comfy, cozy, compliment magnets. I appreciate your style sense, Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your encouragement, Sharan. I am grateful to be able to provide wonderful clothing and accessories for you. ~renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting me know, Della. I appreciate your encouraging words. ~renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so HaPpY to hear this. Let's keep it real. Thanks for following along. ~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Julie. So gLaD you like your belt. It's a great investment piece. And it makes a great statement. See you soon. ~renee

    ReplyDelete