Renee's Website

Monday, April 16, 2012

Who Influences You?

Grandpa Roy and Grandma Lucille Nofziger

Dear friend,

I hope you'll indulge me while I get a little personal today. I want to share about one of the most influential people in my life, a woman from whom I received good taste, discernment and sensitivity.

My grandmother went to be with Jesus on Saturday. She was 97 years old. She had been strong and healthy for her entire life until she broke her hip on Easter Sunday. Even though I haven't lived near her for almost twenty years, I will miss her immensely.


Grandma working on the farm as a young girl.

Grandma lived on a farm about four miles from the farm on which I grew up, and she came over frequently to help my mom and dad raise us four kids. She played a big part in my young life. I was her oldest granddaughter. Even as I got married and moved away, I always knew she was continually praying for me.

My two cousins standing beside Grandma holding me.

She taught me things like how to take a bath and how to wash dishes ("wash the cleanest parts first"), and the proper way to "rid the table" (wash the table and counter-tops twice: first with a hot, soapy, dripping-wet cloth to get the crumbs and soften the sticky stuff, second to collect the remaining sticky stuff, and finally dry it to a shine with a clean towel). She tried to teach me how to sew, mend, and quilt too, but I never took to it. How I could use those skills now!

Grandma is helping Grandpa in his business.
Grandma had a good work ethic. She believed that behind every good man was a good woman. She dedicated her life to her husband and family living out Proverbs 31:10-31: "An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life...."



I'll never forget the time I got to ride with Grandpa and Grandma to one of their customer's farms to collect an overdue bill. We ended up on a dusty turkey farm with loud, scraggly-looking turkeys running around everywhere.



This is how I picture my refined grandma and 4-year-old wide-eyed me standing amidst all those birds squawking at us while Grandpa was speaking softly and respectfully in a kind and gentle way to the debtor.


Grandma, Mom, me, Dad and Grandpa.

Grandma was one of my biggest cheerleaders. "You can do it!" she would encourage. When I won a state treasurer position in the Ohio FFA organization in 1982, Grandpa and Grandma were right there with Mom and Dad in the state capitol to congratulate me on the achievement.

Dad and Grandma in 2008.

Grandma was an elegant, sophisticated, and worldly woman in our small, rural community. I was told she had been raised in a well-to-do family. During her junior year in high school she left school for a year and they traveled across the country to California and back. That must have been quite a trip in the early 1930s.

She was also gentle and sweet. She did not want to be a bother or inconvenience to anyone. Although she was shy and did not like a fuss being made over her, she was unflappable. She conveyed cool confidence even under pressure.


My nephew with Grandma still looking elegant in 2009.

It was from Grandma that I inherited good taste. She is the one who taught me that quality reigns over quantity, and "make the most of what you have" (less is more). Appearances, respectability, and first impressions were paramount. Reputations could not be reversed easily once sullied. She was humble, but deep down inside, I know she had a preference for the finer things in life, and she passed that on to me.

Rest assured, Grandma and Grandpa are rejoicing that they are once again united. While I do grieve my loss, I celebrate her new inheritance in Heaven. I am thankful for all the time I was privileged to spend with her, and for all that she has given me. 

Grandma helped mold me into who I am today, and her influence affects my work, the clothing I order for you, my dressing recommendations, and my style. I guess ultimately her influence affects you, too.

With love,

Renee

 

32 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute to your grandmother.  It sounds like she was a real inspiration to you.  Thinking of you in your loss and her in the reunion she is experiencing.  Love, Mary Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary Elaine! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Renee, I am so sorry for your loss. Your Grandma and Grandpa were
    THE SWEETEST people. They were ALWAYS very loving and supportive
    of me. I
    always had a great time whenever I was with them. After I had graduated
    from high school, my family and I visited them at their home in
    Florida, they made us feel SO welcome. What a great, and yes ,very
    classy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful for their influence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, may you and your Grandma be held in the Light of
    the Divine. Thank you Grandma Lucille for your beautiful Granddaughter,
    Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Renee! She was also a wonderful model to me to
    "how to be a fantastic mother-in-law!" I loved her so much!! Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank
    you for the deeply sensitive tribute to your grandmother; it was a joy
    to read.  The photos gave it the heartfelt feeling you expressed. mv

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Renee,  I read the very touching
    communication on your grandmother.  I am so sorry for your loss, but
    know how fortunate you are to have her in your life.  It was a very
    personal tribute to obviously an incredible person.

     

    Take care. JH
     

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this Renee. Not only did your Grandmother influence
    you, but I would venture to say, those around you as well.... What a
    wonderful story, thank you for sharing it, and her with us. I love the
    picture of you both in the field of turkeys....priceless!


    Blessings,

     

    Shannon
     

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely remembrance, Renee. Thanks for sharing. My condolences on
    your loss, but after such a lifetime as your grandmother had, how
    blessed you were to have had her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. didn't think you were the FFA type!! ha
    Nice tribute to you gram. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha. Had you fooled, didn't I!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written, Renee!   Thanks for sharing.
    What
    a gift she was to you and and your family.   How proud she must have
    been of you.   

    With love and hugs,
    Bev
     

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing - our grandmothers hold so much influence!  I can picture and feel your love for her as I read your tribute.  Sorry for your loss, but I know that she will forever bring happy thoughts as you continue to be inspired by her spiritual influence. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for your loss but what a wonderful tribute to your
    grandmother.  I can see why she inspired you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Renee,

     

    "All who have been touched by beauty are touched by sorrow at its
    passing."  Louise Cordana. My heartfelt sympathy. ST

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother.  I loved reading it and
    getting such a personal glimpse of her impact on you and as you say, on
    us too.  Thank-you. CW

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a
    lovely, lovely tribute to your Grandma!  I was touched by so many parts
    of your story—and know that she must have been so very proud of you.  You
    are as beautiful as she was—and will carry her legacy with
    pride! So sweet of you to share such a personal side of
    you…..We all love you, Renee. God bless you and your Grandma Lucille’s memory! Love, Diane
     

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Renee, I'm sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing.
    You put together a beautiful tribute to her. Those of us who were lucky
    enough to have grandparents who were active in our lives have many
    special memories. I hope your memories of your Grandmother bring you a
    comfort and a smile as you remember her in the days and years ahead. Warmly, ME

    ReplyDelete
  20. Renee, Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your Grandma and
    for sharing her wonderful wisdom. Although you
    will continue to miss her, you have so many wonderful memories and
    stories about her that she will continue to always be with you. I
    thank you for giving your friends her story, her wisdom, her style and
    her wonderful granddaughter. Peace be with you, Carolyn 

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vicki, Thank you for your kind sentiments. I am looking forward to a reunion with aunts, uncles, cousins and the rest of the family this weekend in Ohio, and am grateful I can be there. Grandma was a treasure, and I hope I made her proud. Thanks again for your condolences. xoxo, renee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Renee, for sharing this. I didn't know some of these things about Grandma.  I saw her in a different setting.  I just want to say that even before I became a part of the family, through marriage, she treated me like one of the family and that meant so much to me. 

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for sharing, Rita. See you in Ohio this weekend, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful. So sorry for your loss, but what a blessing to have had her in your life this long. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. On behalf of the Rick and Lisa Rupp family we thank you for the blog that you wrote.
    What a great heritage we were blessed to have. It gives us all a deep sense of respect and responsibility as we attempt to live our lives in the way that was modeled to us by our grandparents and our parents after them. Blessings.

    Rick Rupp

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Rick, You are welcome. Yes, we were blessed with loving, caring grandparents, and in turn, we have big shoes to fill as we care for others who come into our lives. Grandma's passing is a good reminder of that. I look forward to catching up with you and Lisa this weekend. xo, renee

    ReplyDelete
  27. I see your Grandmother "Paid it Forword" through you. Strength, Courage and Resolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She surely did, Jerry. Thx for your comment!

      Delete
  28. Renee, so sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing.  Glad she had such a great life and you learned so much from her.  Thanks for sharing and glad you have all of these fond memories. 

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the pictures you shared with each part of the story. Her grace really shines through, and through you Renee. Her values, held so dear and guiding you with such a firm steady certainty. I miss that in our world today. It makes me think about what a gift it is to receive some certainty, even if it is about how to properly clean a countertop. Every time you wipe the counter, she is right there, thanks for reminding us of what we truly inherit.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes, that is true, Sarri. Something as routine as cleaning the countertops and daily showers bring to mind the wonderful connection I had with Grandma. I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for that, I really enjoyed it!! 
    cheers to you and grandma!!

    ReplyDelete