Renee's Website

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Guest Post: New York Buying is Fun and Hard Work!


Renee and I enjoying dinner in Manhattan at a favorite restaurant, Trattoria dell'Arte, after a hard day at market.


Hello, my name is Laura Castleberry.

We found a shoe line I LOVE!


Renee has honored me by asking me to be a "guest blogger" upon returning from the NYC buying trip (or more appropriately, buying marathon!)

The fountains at Columbus Circle.


I always thought it would be great fun to observe and understand the buying process. How and why Renee chooses what she chooses.

I'm trying on some possibilities from Ivan Grundahl.


Don't misunderstand, going to "market" was fun, but it was intense, overwhelming, exhausting fun.

We ordered this cool color-block sweater from Ivan Grundahl.


This is not the place to go without a plan, a purpose, and a lot of energy. Selections had to be made quickly and decisively. Renee spent all her travel time planning her strategy to maximize every moment at the market.

Ivan Grundahl sweater and blouse. This line was one of my favorite finds.

I heard the vendors ask again and again, "Who is your customer?" Believe me, I think Renee knows us better than we know ourselves! Every purchase was carefully thought out with her customers (us) in mind.

One of many Suzi Roher creations.

The merchandise Renee selected had to meet her high standards of quality and comfort, as well as functionality and affordability. The logistics of getting her selections to the store in a timely manner was mind boggling as well.

Out of hundreds of designs, this is the Suzi Roher belt collection we selected.

One of my favorite parts of the experience was meeting some of the designers (geniuses) who create these beautiful pieces! I met Suzi Roher (belts) and Amy Leiner (jewelry). I even got Suzi Roher's autograph!

A new crinkle jacket from Sun Kim. It's black and silver menswear dot fabric.

After all the excitement, the trip home was more work for Renee, filling her budget, tying it all up, and planning for delivery scheduling.


On our walk to dinner one evening, we discovered rural art in an urban setting. This gas station was converted to a field of sheep! Only in New York!
Whew!! A lot of work goes into those treasures we purchase at the Renee's. Now I know why we love it all. Renee puts thought and care into every item we discover at Renee's. Renee's is like a well-curated art gallery. Thank you Renee!


Laura is a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist at Cascade Valley Hospital in Arlington, Washington.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Laura. I love love love the items you posted!!! And thank you Renée for all of your hard work. I always make sure I have plenty of time when I come to Renee's so I can experience a great shopping experience...even try on items I normally would not....and then get excited that I really like them!!

    ReplyDelete