Renee's Website

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pinto Beans (Or "How I Spilled the Beans.")


This blog doesn't always have to be about clothing. Does it? I hope not, because it's a snow day here in the Seattle area, and nothing around here is moving. No new clothing has arrived. I don't think the UPS man is like the mailman ("Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep the postmen from their appointed rounds.") who already came. I haven't seen the UPS guy or his truck for a few days. Maybe they are all stuck in the snowbanks.

All this snow has me interested in staying home! And when I am home, I like to cook. I made some killer pinto beans last night. Now I know pinto beans aren't very exciting, but these turned out so well! I started the day before at the co-op. I spilled the beans all over the floor by accidentally opening the spout wider when I tried to close it. Uh oh. I had to confess to the cashier that I made a mess back there. That was after I tried to laugh it off to the lady standing behind me in the bulk area who was, by this time, looking at me out of the corner of her eyes to see if I was insane. "Oops, he he," I muttered under my breath, chagrined, when I really wanted to scream "Aieeeeeeee!"

Anyway, that night I put a cup of them (dry) into a pan, covered them with water, and brought it to a boil. Then I put the lid on the pan and turned off the heat. The next morning (yesterday) I drained and rinsed the beans. Covered them with water again. Chopped up an onion and put that in. Found some old dried out garlic cloves, peeled those and threw them in. Put on the heat at a slow bubble. The beans started cooking. Soon they began smelling sooooo good. Next thing I knew, there was a lovely gravy going. When I tasted a bean, maybe about 1.5 hours later, it was tender. I added some salt, chili powder, a bit of cumin, and some tomato sauce to the pan and stirred. That's when I knew this dish was gonna be good! Tossed in some chopped red pepper and green onion for good measure (and good photo).



I sprayed nonstick oil into a baking dish and dumped it all in. Let it sit on top of the stove all day, heat and lid off, while I was at work. When I got home, I shredded some really good white Irish cheddar cheese and sprinkled it on top of the beans. Shoved the whole thing into the oven, lid off, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. In the meantime poured some brown rice and water in the rice cooker. Bill seasoned and grilled chicken breasts. I cut up kale and cooked it. Can I just say, I could have eaten the WHOLE casserole of crusty bean bake over the rice by myself. It tasted so good on a snowy night. Bill was NOT as excited as I was about the bean dish, and he was even more adamant about not putting tongue to kale even just to taste it. Fine by me, I got to eat all of the kale myself. Still, I got a lot of satisfaction out of some simple pinto beans. Yummmmmmmmm.

And this, dear readers, sums up my work at Renee's (and my whole life!): take something simple and innocuous such as pinto beans. They are dry, plain, and basically inedible to begin with. Add some clear cool water and heat. Season with love. Voila! You end up with something delicious, nutritious, and good for you. At Renee's take something seemingly plain and "normal," add quality with fine fabrics and top-notch construction, and get something that gives you pleasure every time you wear it. Just. Like. That.

This morning I made granola. Mmmmm. And in the evenings, cocoa--REAL cocoa-- has been our light but yummy-tasting "dessert!"



And that's my cooking story, readers. It's a change-up from the regular clothing post. Hope you are having a good snow day, one and all!!

Sending my love and warmth,

Renee

p.s. I am going to host a soup exchange at Renee's on Wed. Feb. 8. Make your favorite soup, bring it to Renee's hot in a crock pot, and let's do lunch together. If you don't want to cook soup, come anyway. There will be plenty to go around. I'll provide some yummy rye bread from the Russian restaurant next door to go along with the soups. What do you think? Will you make soup? Will you eat soup? Do you like soup? What's your favorite soup? Please post a comment.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Renee, I made 15 bean soup over the weekend. It was so yummy and filling. I wish I could join you for lunch, but I will be in SF. Does the Russian restaurant make piroshki? I love soup...any kind. Some of my favs include minestrone, fish stew and split pea. Hugs, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed your blog since I made red beans and rice on Monday evening! It was one of our meatless meals that my family likes, especially since it's considered a 'complete meal.'

    Michelle V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenni, I don't see piroshki on the menu, but they would probably make it at your request. They do make delicious borscht and "Golubtsi," better known as cabbage rolls. Three of them, with bread, for $3.99 according to their menu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what u are doing! Your soup sounds fab, but Chip and I did not smell it on our slippery way down the st. this a.m. Where is Russian Rest.? I am going to try your bean soup. Pls tell Bill I will eat all of his kale! It is one of the best foods we can eat, bar none. KUDOS TO YOU! di

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane, The Russian restaurant is in the "Banya" on the other side of the breezeway next to Renee's! About the kale, agreed!!!
    renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post Renee. Beans are great food when seasoned right and yours look delish! Laura - former Otter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura!! I learned how to make beans when I lived in Puerto Rico for a year a long time ago. Are you still living down there? So NICE to hear from you! Miss u and all fellow otters!!!!! ~renee

      Delete
  7. The beans sound delicious. It was that kind of day--Robin made his wonderful vegetarian chili, with black beans, lentils, corn, smoked paprika, and other spices. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, that sounds good, too. Maybe he can bring it to our soup exchange!! Thanks, Sharan!

      Delete
  8. I made sausage, kale and bean soup after snowshoeing tonight! (I used canned beans though.) My favorite soup is kabocha squash soup. Hope I can get to your soup lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristin! Yummmm! Both of those soups sound delish! Hope you can make it to lunch too! With soup! So I can taste it. Here's another snowshoe day for you. Xoxo, renee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renee...great piece! You made me laugh. :) I am impressed with your cooking!
    Stay warm!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Renee,
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading about how you celebrated your snow day. Sounds delightful. Your idea to share that experience with the rest of us is inspired and so generous. I can't be there but if I could I'd bring my butternut squash soup. Sharing the recipe is the best I can do. Have fun Wed. http://www.food.com/recipe/butternut-squash-soup-72695

    ReplyDelete
  12. Renne,

    You are so VERY creative! This is a wonderful way to stay in touch and provide new ideas for us. The recipe sounds yummy. You sure do know how to make the most of a challenging situation!

    Hugs and warm wishes,
    Carolyn A.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking I should try and make my own granola. . maybe this will be just what I need to get going.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Renee,
    Clint loved your bean recipe and even more the beautiful photography. While I'm at work, Clint is usually in the kitchen. Soup is his favorite thing to make and so easy to share. I cannot attend your "soup luncheon," because of work, but Clint is going to bring by one of his favorites, clam chowder. I can attest, it is delicious:) Want to share too, I LOVED my Christmas presents. The clothes all fit! Yeah! He must have had some help from Santa's Elves. Can't wait to see what's new for spring!!!

    Happy New Year,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cheryl and Clint,
    Can't wait to try the clam chowder. I'm sure it's delicious! Glad all of the gifts fit! We look forward to your next visit. I hope Clint saves some chowder for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Renee-

    I love all your posts and this one really made me smile. We spent 5(!)days without power during the snow storm and lived like modern pioneers on a generator. I made some killer lentil soup and can't wait to try your pinto recipe--especially now that we have electricity and all the modern conveniences!

    :> Joni M.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Joni, Thanks for your cute feedback! Five days without power is quite an accomplishment! Electricity certainly makes our lives easier, especially when making beans from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cheryl and Clint,
    Can't wait to try the clam chowder. I'm sure
    it's delicious! Glad all of the gifts fit! We look forward to your next
    visit. I hope Clint saves some chowder for you! 

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, that sounds good, too. Maybe he can bring it to our soup exchange!!
    Thanks, Sharan! 

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kristin! Yummmm! Both of those soups sound delish! Hope you can make
    it to lunch too! With soup! So I can taste it. Here's another snowshoe
    day for you. Xoxo, renee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Laura!! I learned how to make beans when I lived in Puerto Rico
    for a year a long time ago. Are you still living down there? So NICE to
    hear from you! Miss u and all fellow otters!!!!! ~renee 

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Diane, The Russian restaurant is in the "Banya" on the other side of
    the breezeway next to Renee's! About the kale, agreed!!!
    renee

    ReplyDelete
  23.  Hi Jenni, I don't see piroshki on the menu, but they would probably make
    it at your request. They do make delicious borscht and "Golubtsi,"
    better known as cabbage rolls. Three of them, with bread, for $3.99
    according to their menu!

    ReplyDelete