Renee's Website

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tackle Your Closet; Win New Hangers!

Dear Readers,
Does your spring-cleaning routine include your clothing closet? Regular culling not only helps me find things faster, but a well-organized space gives me peace of mind. A clean, clutter-free closet will allow you to appreciate the time and money investments you’ve made in your wardrobe.

Simplify. If you decide to tackle your closet, I recommend going through your belongings twice. On the first go-round, get rid of anything that 1. Is worn out, 2. You no longer like, 3. Is out of style, or 4. You haven’t worn in the past two years. As you declutter your closet, evaluate. Let go of clothes that are too small and give up items you don’t intend to wear. Decide if these “clearance” items will be given away or tossed, depending on how well used the garment is. Labeled boxes can be useful during this step.

On the second time through, try on the remaining clothing. Create a third box for items that need alterations. At this point another person’s opinion could be helpful. Make your closet cleaning activity more fun by mixing, matching and styling outfits while playing your favorite music! Not only do you have a clean closet but a pocketful of outfit ideas that can save you time and money.

Reorganize. Now you can rearrange the remaining items. I like to use matching hangers. Wooden hangers, although beautiful, are expensive and take up lots of room. Velvet flocked hangers prevent slippage. Flocked and plastic tube hangers are narrow and conserve space. Wire hangers are flimsy, ugly and slippery. They can get tangled, and they don’t support the clothing. I recommend recycling these.

I use plastic hangers with metal swivel tops. Not only are they economical, but also they allow all of my clothing to hang in the same direction no matter how I place it on the hanger. To prevent slippery or wide-neck tops from falling off I apply adhesive foam.

I suggest you arrange like clothing categories together. Examples include knit tops, blouses, sweaters, jeans, pants, and jackets. Sort tops by sleeve length. For example, group together strappy tanks, sleeveless tops, cap sleeves, three quarter sleeve and long sleeves. You won’t have to rummage as much to find the tops you want.

I fold my heavy sweaters (stored on shelves) and workout apparel. Exercise apparel is again separated by sleeve length and stored in a drawer.

These organization steps will help you see your closet contents and determine what can be worn together. Imagine opening your closet doors and smiling with a sense of satisfaction rather than sighing in exasperation. When you pare down your possessions, your closet will work for you.



If you have other tips, suggestions, techniques or questions that aren’t listed above, please share them in the comment block below. Or just leave your name in the comment field. On Monday I will draw one name from the comments. Winner will receive fifty free hangers and foam hanger covers. I will announce the winner’s name on the next blog post. Thank you for your input!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for these great tips! Our teen daughter just mentioned wanting to re-evaluate her clothes, so I'm printing this to share w/ her. Have used a lot of these ideas in my own closet & finally feel I have a wardrobe which works.

    Sincerely,

    Cindy N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I like the idea of consigning clothing, I think it's a hassle trying to keep track of my sales and payments. In the past I've had good intentions to use eBay, too, but discovered instead that taking the necessary time to learn how to sell things there subtracts from my joy of having a clean closet and adds stress that I don't want to deal with. Rather than bother with consigning or eBay (or even holding a garage sale, I'd rather just donate it and be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use clear, lidded boxes for sweaters and miscellany. I can readily see what is in them, it helps in organizing and keeps items dust free. Thanks Renee for reminding us that it is time to clean our closets. A little organizing goes a long way - out with the clutter in our lives, out with the stress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use clear, lidded boxes for sweaters and miscellany. I can readily see what is in them, it helps in organizing and keeps items dust free. Thanks Renee for reminding us that it is time to clean our closets. A little organizing goes a long way - out with the clutter in our lives, out with the stress! Michelle Clark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these great tips! Our teen daughter just mentioned wanting to re-evaluate her clothes, so I'm printing this to share w/ her. Have used a lot of these ideas in my own closet & finally feel I have a wardrobe which works. Cindy N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Renee.  I also have an extra closet for switching seasons.
    When it is hard to get rid of an item I think of how much someone shopping at the goodwill or other charity store will love it!!!!
     
    Have a great day
    Julie Geddes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these ideas - great!  I find I hang onto some things that are higher to high value.  I intend to find a consignment store or put them on ebay but don't get around to it.  Do you have suggestions?  Thanks, Louise Beckley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donate unwanted or unused work attire to the YWCA at 3301 Broadway in Everett for their working wardrobe programs. Pam Sandoz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Pam....I donate clothes every 6 months to local programs for women's working wardrobes. I lost weight recently and found I had to finally let go of several suits and forced myself to let the scarves and matching gloves or whatever accessories go with them. I feel good about it and have been stopping in at Renee's to pick up items to start over....love Renee!! Cindy Woods

    ReplyDelete